Recent DIY projects…

In preparation for the April 26th tour we hosted for members of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, I thought it made sense to describe a few of the relatively straight-forward projects on the list. This post highlights two of the many projects completed over the course of the past sixty days.

We had long thought it made sense to research how best to refinish the emuamericas, llc chairs Will Bruder specified in 1998 to accompany the corten steel and acrylic table he designed for the west patio. As the following two images depict, seventeen years of exposure certainly took their toll on the finish! Happily, emuamericas, llc continues to produce a chair remarkably similar to the one depicted, so I was able to procure foot insert and seat stacker replacements matching those removed prior to shipping the steel frames off for refinishing at Glendale Powder Coating.


I think this image, (below), illustrates the toll a desert climate can extract on anything less than steel, concrete or glass. On the left are examples of the seat stacker and foot insert removed from the chairs before they were transported to the powder coating company, and on the right are examples of the replacements I received about a week ago – what a difference!


I cannot over-state how impressed I am with the results of the powder coating – the finish is flawless; a shade a silver that perfectly complements the stainless steel details found elsewhere on the patio. Every very single chair is very pleasing to the touch – a critical element, given their purpose, don’t you think?!

The next two images illustrate these vast improvements, and yet the original intent is perfectly preserved, but with the happy prospects of lasting another decade without much more than the occasional hosing down to remove residual dust!



Once I’d committed to sending the patio chairs off for powder coating, I decided I really should tackle the so-called “fire and ice” feature and remove the glass, wash it thoroughly, (as well as the stainless steel trough it rests in), then put it all back together in the same day. …at least this was the plan. This first image captures both the glass, (now removed and sitting on burlap about two feet to the right), and the custom-designed stainless steel trough cradling it. As you can see, I wasn’t exaggerating about the accumulated dust either!


With the glass safely stacked and the dust/debris cleaned out, my attention turned to the non-directional stainless steel surface of the trough and figuring out how to remove the calcium stains:


This next image, (below), was taken the next day, as I started to clean the glass, (but before any of it was placed back in the fixture). You see six stainless steel bolts used to center the 1 1/4 inch diameter stainless steel pipe, rather than the glass shards found in the image above. …and yes, all signs of the calcification mentioned earlier were completely erased!


…a final image showing the entire fixture back in fully-operational form, (below).


We’ve had the opportunity to ignite the “fire and ice” feature a night or two recently, (read April 26th and April 27th), and I’m happy to report it functions as beautifully as it looks! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.