Pantry Skylight Shaft Detail

As I mentioned right at the beginning of the month, we’d finally settled on the stainless steel trim detail slated for use around a brand new tempered pane of etched glass recently installed in the Pantry at the Byrne residence.

This pane of glass covers, (just as the original pane had), a roughly 7 foot by 2 1/2 foot opening into the skylight shaft dropping from the roof all the way down to the Lower Level, but the new pane doesn’t cover the adjacent 6 1/2″ wide walls to either side as the original pane had.

After carefully studying the view looking into the Pantry from the Kitchen, Will Bruder suggested we expose the walls, narrow the pane and trim it out.

Let’s start with the sketch Will Bruder sent to us in early February outlining the basic idea:


…and the final specification for the 3 pieces of stainless steel required to trim out the glass pane:


Now on to an “in progress” photograph depicting the conditions I discovered behind the original sandblasted pane of glass:


The skylight shaft opening fully painted – deep purple/eggplant facing into the pantry, and so-called “Bruder white” on the edges of the aperture into the skylight shaft itself:


Next, an image of the glass stop being test fit prior to nailing it into place:


The following image, (below), depicts the glass stop installed, painted and ready to receive the new etched pane of tempered glass:


Delivery Day! The original pane, (strapped into place on the left), and the new pane, (strapped into place on the right), can both be seen in this next image, (below). The company Bill Byrne contracted with to provide all of the glass for the Byrne residence back in 1998, Mirror Works, once again created a template for, fabricated and installed another perfectly-fitting pane!


We decided to apply gentle pressure while the silicone set up using three pine straps stretched across the pane of glass, (they remained in place for almost 4 days before I removed them, then filled in the tiny nail holes and repainted the 6 1/2 inch wide walls to either side).


Two weeks later, I had the three stainless steel trim pieces in hand… I opted to “dry fit” all three first and then clean them prior to applying the silicone bead intended to affix these three pieces of trim to the wall, (see below):


We wanted to be sure the stainless steel trim was tightly pressed to the glass, so I fabricated four custom-cut dowels with nylon pads attached to either end.  I used these to apply pressure overnight, first on the left:


…and then on the right:


I’ll wrap this post up with two images Martha captured shortly after I removed the dowels. The first image was taken from just outside the doorway leading into the Pantry; the second image was taken from the Dining Room, looking over the counter and north toward the doorway.


The second image, (below), shows where the design cues were taken from for the stainless steel trim in the Pantry: 1) the exhaust vent hood trim, (recent), and 2) the stainless steel countertops, (original).


We’re rather pleased with the results – given our objective of blending recent improvements into an existing design that has, (most assuredly), withstood the test of time, (and is well-documented in a number of publications/periodicals found on the Publications page), I’d say we met it too!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.