Byrne Residence project update…

Hi everyone! Apologies for the long lag between posts, but as I mentioned on the Recent News page a few weeks ago, it’s all for good reason. Despite triple-digit temperatures for much of June, July, August and September, we managed to wrap up several lingering projects here at the Byrne residence, squeeze in a few short getaways and make plans for what looks like a rather busy fall/winter season!

The impetus behind our frenzied summer of activity was the arrival of our belongings from Washington state in early August. While we’d decided to call Arizona home some eighteen months before, we’d left our belongings behind, safely tucked away in a temperature-controlled storage facility in Bellevue, (less than a mile from where we’d lived).

…and now it was time to consolidate what had been two independent households into one – yikes! This decision set off a chain reaction of events, resulting in a number of decorating changes – and the need to complete a few projects – here at the Byrne Residence.

The biggest, (at least as far as we were concerned), was the decision to remove the built-in headboard and night stands in the Master Bedroom. Once I figured out the ingenious way the headboard had been permanently attached to the floor, it was time to gingerly ease it up off the couplings, carefully guide it out onto the east-facing deck, and dismantle it, a project that took the better part of a day.

I was left with two one inch penetrations roughly eight inches apart in the concrete slab – one contained the twisted pair cabling for a telephone line, the other contained a short run of Romex®, servicing the duplex outlets built into the base of the now-dismantled headboard. Hmmmm… What to do? What to do?

After a bit of research, I learned the manufacturer of the round non-metallic floor boxes used throughout the house – a company called Carlon – offered the perfect solution, a 2 3/8″ diameter non-metallic drop-in floor box, with a brushed metal finish matching the existing floor-mounted outlets! I placed my order that afternoon and four or five days later, it was time to tackle the project.

The crucial element was coring the concrete slab to the metal plate/deck some four inches beneath the surface, then getting through the metal plate/deck so I could drop these two non-metallic sleeves around the insulated wires to prevent any potential for chaffing. Happily, I found the right diameter carbide-tipped hole saws at our local hardware store and went to work. Each core took about an hour to drill, while the metal plate/deck holes took about 30 seconds apiece!

With the circuit breaker still off, I connected the copper conductors using the supplied wire nuts, snapped the assembly into the sleeve and dropped the sleeve into the hole. I did the same for the telephone line, using an RJ11 jack and punch-down tool. Once the twisted pair cabling was terminated properly, I snapped that assembly into the sleeve and dropped that sleeve into the adjacent hole. I flipped the circuit breaker back on, tested both the land line and the electrical outlet, then installed the metal trim and cap for both, (see image below). Voila!

Martha is evaluating her images of the new pieces of furniture found in the Living Room, Guest Bedroom, Master Bedroom, Library and Office – I’ll update this post with those images soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.